Livestock plays an integral role in the lives of the livestock entrepreneurs of Trashigang Dzongkhag. Large areas of the Dzongkhag can be used for livestock production, while in some Gewogs livestock is an integral component of a deeply rooted traditional livestock farming system. In order to achieve the overall national objective of improving the living standards of rural population and to enhance rural income, intervention in livestock farming, production technology and improvement in the market chain facilities are paramount importance to further the livestock farming in the Dzongkhag.
This can be accelerated with good organizational structure whose institutions clearly defines and focuses on important aspects of efficient livestock production system under varied agro-ecological condition conditions.
- To attain food-security and self-sufficiency in livestock products through enhanced rural livelihoods to alleviate poverty.
- To increase livestock productivity by ensuring prompt delivery of appropriate technologies and services through commodity based approach.
- Green economic growth, inclusive social development, poverty alleviation and climate smart livestock farming.
- Planning, budgeting, coordinating and implement the livestock production and animal health activities as per the policies, strategies and guidelines of the Department of Livestock in line with the Dzongkhag annual plan.
- Monitor, provide technical support and evaluate the Gewog to ensure efficient delivery of livestock services.
- Develop capacity of all extension personnel in the sector including appropriate human resource.
- Mobilize resources from various sources for implementation of livestock development activities in the Dzongkhag.
- Liaise with the Department of Livestock, respective Livestock commodity programs, Regional Livestock Development Centers (RLDC) and other national and international stakeholders in areas of livestock development.
- Management of human resources of the sector
The objectives of Dzongkhag Livestock Sector are to:
- Create enabling environment for farmers/entrepreneurs to invest in livestock activities.
- Enhance income generation capacity of rural communities.
- Enhance livestock production and productivity through appropriate technologies.
- Achieve greater food-security and self-sufficiency in livestock products.
- Improve the nutritional status of the rural people and reduce import.
- Develop appropriate interventions for enhancement of availability of feed and fodder resources.
- Expand the fodder resource base by integrating fodder production system, exploring rangelands and leasing in forest land for livestock entrepreneurs.
- Implementation of effective and efficient disease prevention and control programs.
- Provide superior quality inputs to the livestock farmers.
- Provide effective livestock breed improvement services.
- Reduce the population of unproductive livestock in the country.
- Provide interventions to increase livestock production.
- Initiate, formalize, organize farmer’s groups, product value addition, markets and marketing networks.
- Advocate and support the native livestock farmers to conserve native livestock breeds
- Advocate and support the native livestock farmers to produce and market the native livestock product in the niche market.